Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mirror Mirror on the wall.

About 3 years ago, I got really tired of reality and started making my own world of characters in paper mache.  Last year, I started thinking, “what if they moved”?  Well, I kind of filed that question under the someday file in my brain and moved on.  Then I started watching “Once Upon a Time” (hereafter referred to as my show).  Now I have always had a fondness for evil queens.  In fact the funnest (yes that is a word I used often) Halloween I had was when I went as Maleficent and scared the bejeasus out of a kid at Burger King on my lunch break.  Anyway, back to the beginning.  After watching my show, I decided that I needed my own magic mirror.  What to do? The same thing I do every night, Pinky, try to take over the world… by searching google. On a side note, if you don’t google, I highly recommend it.   People ask me for advice all the time and I am always shocked when I asked if the googled it and they say no.  Anyway, so I started googling how to make my own magic mirror…Behold, as if cast by the evil queen herself, there appeared a website called www.diymagicmirror.com.  It tells you exactly what you need, but it tends to get pricey.  Now, I work in trucking and make paper mache art, I have no disposable income.  Basically, I am giving up art supplies for my haunt and I can’t afford to spend a gazillion dollars. I did find, however, another site www.imagineerieing.com.  Not to be confused with Disney… notice the eerie.  They sell a downloadable puppet for like $15.  Much more doable.  Plus I happen to be married to a programmer with a deeper voice, so I figure he can totally personalize it for me.  I am still in the process of gathering up my final pieces for this project.  Once we get started on the programming, I will list a tutorial on it.
Magic Mirror Supply List
Cheap Computer (I got an excellent one for $75.00 off ebay)
12x12 two way mirror (
http://www.hiddentelevision.com/sample.htm $20.00) make sure to get the dielectric.
Cheap 15” lcd monitor (got mine for 24.00 off ebay)
Download of the puppet from imagineerieing or the kit from diy magic mirror
Frame and oval mat.  Still looking for that.
We will get into the guts when I start the build.

No comments:

Post a Comment