Tuesday, March 20, 2012

humble beginnings

Hi, my name is Teresa. This year I have decided to build my first haunt. Sure I’ve put up the fake spider webs and carved pumpkins in the past, but this year, I am building a little bit of Disney in my front yard.  I am starting this blog to maybe help anyone like me who has absolutely no idea what they’re doing or how to get started. 
First, about me. I grew up in Huntsville AR.  It was a nice quiet place, but not a lot of things to do.  It was the kind of place where decorations consisted of pumpkins and neighbors gave out apples or popcorn balls.  As I got older, I never really paid much attention to Halloween.  I grew up, moved to Fort Smith and promptly had my pumpkin stolen on Halloween. I wrote off that holiday and all those sorry-good –for-nothings who took my candy and stole my pumpkins.
This year though, Im blowing it out. Or at least hoping to.  I know nothing.  NOTHING.  My professional background is in trucking, my educational background is marketing and political science. Sure I took science classes, but I always made sure I took the same ones as the athletes…you know what I mean. I was taught geometry by a 200-year old high school basketball coach…. Basically, I am having to learn as I go. 
I have found a number of tutorials online showing how people built their props and animatronics and such, but they all have an assumption that the reader would know something about this stuff.  Nope. I had to google search most of the words I came across in the tuts.  So for those of you like me, who are ignorant and broke, I start this blog.  Over the course of the next few months, I will chronicle my experiences.  I will show my failures, I will post my successes, I will provide links to help, products and experts.  I will give you every piece of information I come across that may help, or at least may help you not screw up the same I will.  Comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.  If you are an engineer, we welcome your help, but only if its constructive.  I already know I am an idiot. 
I have found that most people are very willing to help, but usually cant get down on the level I need them to be for me to know what the heck they’re talking about.  For this blog, I will more than likely have pictures labeled “doohickey” and “wire thing”.  Feel free to insert names when you can.  This is a learning blog and we are starting from scratch.  So with that said, let me share my plans…which have already been shot down by a “more experienced haunter” as being too challenging for my level of ability…CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
I will preface this with I HATE GORE.  There will be no blood or fleshy parts etc… in my haunt.
I want to create a creepy atmosphere like the gardens at Tower of Terror
I want to include a pet cemetery, Madame Leota, Grim Grinning Ghosts, animatronic dog, and a peppers ghost.   I plan to chronicle these adventures –success or fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment